The Statewide Adolescent Transition Network are excited to announce two projects, that are commencing, with the aim to improve the adolescent transition journey for young people in South Australia. The two projects are:
- The Adolescent Transition Framework and Action Plan. The purpose of the framework and action plan is to improve health outcomes for young people with life-long disability and or chronic conditions in South Australia through improved quality, continuity and consistency of adolescent transition care.
- Heath Journey Mapping project. This is a research project with the aim is to identify the challenges faced by young people with complex medical conditions in transition from child to adult health services in South Australia. In particular:
- The needs of young people during transition
- The elements that contribute to a successful transition
We recognise that young people are best placed to be involved in decisions and suggest solutions about the issues that affect them so both of these projects will be engaging youth to be actively involved in these projects.
There will be expressions of interest for young people who are interested in contributing to the projects and providing a voice for young people with a chronic illness in South Australia.
Hear from Damon Fenech about the Statewide Adolescent Transition Care Clinical Network as part of the 2022 CEIH Conversation Series
Statewide Adolescent Transition Care Clinical Network Steering Committee
|Dr Jemma Anderson||Chair|
|Mr Allan Hayward||Program Manager, Youth Cancer Service SA/NT, CALHN|
|Dr Betty-Jean Dee-Price||Research (UNSW) sessional work (Flinders), Flinders University, University of New South Wales|
|Mr Damon Fenech||Service Manager, NALHN|
|Mrs Dana Wright||Nurse Consultant, Disability Services, WCHN|
|Mrs Georgina Paterson||Nurse Unit Manager, Thoracics OPD, CALHN|
|Dr Jenna Paterson||Advanced Trainee in General and Acute Medicine, Austin Hospital, Victoria|
|Dr John Widger||Paediatrician and Clinical Director, SALHN|
|Associate Professor Josephine Thomas||Consultant General Physician and Director of Physician Education, CALHN|
|Dr Kate Lynch||Head of Inflammatory Bowel Disease Department, CALHN|
|Ms Kate Turpin||Nurse practitioner — Long term follow up/transition, WCHN|
|Dr Kenneth Hooper||Head of Unit, Southern Youth Mental Health Service, SALHN|
|Dr Kerry Whannel||GP Consultant, SALHN|
|Mrs Marie Capelle||Team Leader, Metropolitan Youth Health Elizabeth|
|Dr Muthuthantrige Ashani Couchman||Neuro-Urologist and Adolescent Urologist, CAHLN|
|Mr Steven Wright||Executive Manager, Youth Services, Sonder, Edinburgh North and Adelaide|
|Ms Sujata Mylvaganam||Coordinator Youth Mental Health Consultation Liaison Service, Rural and Remote Mental Health Service|
|Mr Tim Crowley||Nursing Director, Manager — Acute and Statewide Services, Nurse Practitioner Complex Care & Trauma Mental Health Child and Adolescent Mental Health|
|Ms Usha Ritchie||Associate Director of Pharmacy, CALHN|
Dr Jemma Anderson
Statewide Adolescent Transition Care Clinical Network Vision
The Adolescent Transition Care Clinical Network has a vision for young people to access care which:
- meets their needs
- empowers them to have an ongoing say in its development and evaluation
- is easily accessible
- is continuously improving and;
- seamless across all providers of healthcare.
Statewide Adolescent Transition Care Clinical Network Goals
- Improve access to services
- Seamless transition, quality and delivery of care to young people
- Young people are part of the system and design
- Quality improvement.
Additional Documents and Information
Adolescent Transition Care Network Work Streams
To read more about the Steering Committees approach and measures of success, see Adolescent Transition Care Work Streams
Terms of Reference
Adolescent Brain Development
- UNICEF Explainer Video — The Adolescent Brain (YouTube)
- Myths of the Adolescent Brain — Dan Siegel (YouTube)
Adverse Experiences on the Developing Brain
- How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime (TEDMED 2014)
- Developmental Trauma Close Up (Beacon House Therapeutic Services & Trauma Team, UK, January 2020)
- The Future of Healing: Shifting From Trauma Informed Care to Healing Centered Engagement (Shawn Ginwright Ph.D. 2018)
Commissioner for Children and Young People
Have a question?
Or want to know more about the Adolescent Transition Care Statewide Clinical Network?
Please email CEIH.AdolescentTransition@sa.gov.au